[Dailydrool] BOTW

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 06:19:16 PDT 2008

I always vote for basset of the week and was surprised to see our youngest
Mazzie up for BOTW.  If you would like to see a picture of her just follow
the link at the beginning of the digest. That is her look of "what is going
on?" and sometimes she will do the head tilt all the way to the side.  There
are so many "different" looking bassets and they are all so cute and many
squishy.  Mazzie is not squishy.  Maggie, our senior, is squishy.  I had
submitted both Maggie and Mazzie's picture at the same time and am actually
glad that they are not up against each other.

Mazzie was adopted from the shelter in September of 05.  She was a stray
whose family was contacted and they just signed her over as a relinquish
when contacted. She has a birth defect of one of her front legs.  She also
has fusion from her L5 to her sacrum.  She is prone to ear infections too.
She received special treatment at the shelter as she was in the puppy room
and allowed to run free because she was traumatized to be crated. If we have
to crate her here she gets completely upset so we don't do it.  We only use
the large crate for fosters. Mazzie is afraid of stocky men with black hair.
She instantly looses her bladder if they reach out to her.  Mazzie loves to
play with toys, she can swim in the great lakes, and she can arrooo (our
mini doxie taught her how).  Mazzie is quite the challenging basset as she
had a seizure last summer.  She also will often urinate on the dog couch or
one of the dog beds and that could be even if we are gone one hour. We used
to diaper her, but she figured out how to get it off. Mazzie is 4 1/2 years
old and found her forever home at the age of 2.  We were looking to adopt a
male, but her coloring and personality were just great and we knew she was
special needs by looking at her body structure.  This was after we got her
home. We looked past that and actually didn't even notice her obvious birth
defect until our neighbor asked about her leg.  We don't know how many
challenges she will face later in life because of her body structure, but
for now she is happy and healthy with us.

I would love to hear some of the other stories for basset of the week.  That
way, I can place a name and story with the picture.  Sitting on pins and
needles waiting for a brudder Elwood update.

DRool to all in need,
Dee, Maggie, Mazzie and Oliver