[Dailydrool] Bloat

Nancy Rife NancyR at McElvain.Com
Tue Apr 29 13:51:48 PDT 2008

We lost our first Basset Jake to bloat and came close to an episode with Satchel about three years ago.  It's not hard to identify when a dog is starting to bloat.  Fortunately for us, we live about five minutes away from the emergency vet's office and as soon as I brought him in and told them what I suspected, they hurried him right off to be checked out.  They prepped his tummy for possible surgery but were able to relieve the pressure orally and he was pronounced fine.  Scarred the you-know-what outta me!  Bloat is nothing to fool around with.  Yell, scream, through yourself on the ground, just do whatever it takes to get the vet's attention.  Those people should be reported for not responding to your emergency.

Nancy J. Rife
Land Records Analyst
McElvain Oil & Gas Properties, Inc.
1050 17th Street, Suite 1800