[Dailydrool] The importance of wearing collars

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Tue Apr 15 17:26:59 PDT 2008

This afternoon Drew and I took the hounds for their usual constitutional around the block. We were about halfway round when what I think was a lab mix puppy came running out of his yard, bypassed his people, ran across the street, to dash by the Dashing Bassets. He then shot off again, with his humans desperately trying to get him to come to them (yeah, like they had a chance, this guy was made for speed!). He repeated this performance, almost getting hit by a car as he retraced his path across the street.

One of the girls who was trying to catch the dog yelled, "Stop that dog!" But because the dog had no collar on it, there was no way for anyone to help. I would have tried to grab it either time, but I'd have had to tackle it in order to stop him.

I thank God that the person driving the SUV was able to stop in time. Must have been great brakes.

I know some folks on this list like to leave their dogs collarless. I understand that desire, but after what I saw today, I have to warn you that in cases like this it could be dangerous. If you have a runner, please reconsider that decision.

Drew and I hustled our dogs off, hoping that absent their distraction, the family could capture their dog. I assume they did, but I tell you, they almost lost their dog today. If that SUV had been two feet further along, I'd be telling you a tale of a dead or very badly hurt dog.

I'm a soft touch, as you all know. I felt for the dog--but I did holler at the people that they need to collar their dog. I hope they were listening. But you know how hard it is to get through to folks about their dogs. I needed to sound off to you guys, because I know that you will listen.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets--who did not dash for once