[Dailydrool] Watson's confirmation.....???

sylviemcgee at comcast.net sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Wed Apr 16 11:55:37 PDT 2008

Hi, Katie,

A couple of questions:

1. How old is Watson?
2. You said he's only doing this when he runs. Are there any other signs of distress? For example: is he stiff when he stands up after having lain down for a while? Does he avoid steps/stairs? Does he tire easily on walks?

A couple of comments:

1. My vet generally doesn't prefer surgery when there's no sign of distress. Surgery that cuts into the bones will, as far as I know inevitably, create arthritis as the dog gets older, and not very much older at that.  Given that, if the dog is functional and not in pain, why undertake surgery that will result in pain?

2. Vet Schools are a REALLY GOOD THING for second opinions, and even for treatment. They do not have the same financial incentive to do surgery that orthopedic vets in private practice have. They will get paid the same whether they operate or not. That's how I like to get my veterinary advice on tough issues. I had reason to consult with WSU's Vet School, got to talk a couple of times to the head of the Canine Orthopedic Research Lab, and he was fantastic and clear. Also helped me avoid invasive surgery on a dog who is growing up just fine.

3. You may have gotten Watson from a backyard breeder - I'm not questioning your assessment of that at all. But seeing only the dam (mother) of the litter is common among reputable breeders as well. When I breed one of my bitches, I'm looking for the best match possible to complement her strengths and perhaps correct her weaknesses.  That boy might live across the country, and if that's the case, I might take her to him, or bring his semen in frozen.  So with many reputable show breeders, you'll only meet the dam in person - although you'll probably have pictures and pedigrees from the sire.

Hope this is helpful - will look forward to your answers on some of the Watson questions.

Sylvie