[Dailydrool] Frustration with the rescue

Diane Fenton dfenton at ptd.net
Wed Apr 16 13:57:37 PDT 2008

First, Let me say I mean no disrespect, I am just venting and upset and
who better to do that with then people of the basset world.
We went to meet Jack, the basset puppy we are looking to adopt as a
buddy for Howie.  When we get to the rescue (not a basset rescue)  they
informed us that they have reservations of adopting to us because Howie
has Pano (by the way they never heard of it before).  My husband
informed them that Howie had pano because we put off meeting Jack until
the Pano wasn't so severe and Howie felt like his little self again.
They said they are afraid it is viral and Jack may get it.  I said I can
tell you it is not contagious, I've had a previous basset with pano
during which I had 2 other dogs and they never passed it on.  They
didn't want Howie to kiss the dogs or anything, my husband said that's
how dogs get to know each other, why did we come if you aren't letting
them get to know each other.
I love what rescues do but I am really getting jaded.  First it took
forever for them to respond back to me (emails, calls, faxes) and then
after seeing the condition of this rescue, I felt that they have the
nerve to turn down people who want to love a pet even though they don't
have a fenced in yard and in the mean time the dogs are in cages.  Of
course the cages are better then the alternative but so is love.  Mean
time they refuse people for no fences and the foster that has Jack
doesn't have a fenced in yard, they have an invisible fence.  However,
the foster mom is a really nice person.  I had to educate her on some
basset traits and not to leave him in the fenced in yard because to a
basset that is not an obstacle.  I also let her know what about pano.
My fear is they will give this little guy to someone that has no
understanding of the superior basset mentality and then he will be
returned.  He was a sweetheart from a puppy mill. Howie and him got
along great, like they new each other forever.
Well thank you for letting me vent, sorry if I offended anyone.  I know
most of the rescues out there are the best thing in the world for these
poor darlings.  If this doesn't go through I think I will be going to a
basset rescue where they know about our little lovies.  I will let you
know if Jack ends up being part of the family.  We still need to go
through the home visit if it even gets that far at this point.

Howie here:  Me Howie wants to pway wid Jack.  He my size.

Sorry again if I ruffled any feathers,  I am just upset.

Diane (slave to Howie)
Howie