[Dailydrool] Bassets and temperature taking

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Thu Apr 17 03:49:41 PDT 2008

Our Jane starts plopping down into a flat basset as soon as the temperature goes above 60. I always figured that being a hunting breed, she liked hunting weather. When we hit the 70s the other day, she did her usual flat basset until she cooled off. People drive by and laugh at us, standing there with three dogs, one of whom is flat.

Bel seems to enjoy the heat more. Abner's really heavy coat makes him get warmer faster, but he rarely does a flat basset. He just moves slower.

Bassets were bred to hunt. I think cooler temperatures make them happy.

<<There is a thermometer you can buy, probably from your Vet but lemme
look and see what the company is. It is an LED thermometer that
registers (rectally, sorry) in TEN SECONDS.>>

I had to laugh at this one. Which of my hounds could I keep a thermometer in for ten seconds? Abner wouldn't let me get close enough to him to get the thing in. Just lifting his tail is a challenge. The second time I picked up that thermometer, he'd be out of the room as soon as he saw it. (That's what he does when I pick up the medication for his ears.)

The other dogs would be more polite, but I can't see them standing still long enough to do the deed. If I got it in, I'd think I'd done well. But ten seconds? Better one of those instant-read thermometers--nothing less would do the job.

Who invents these things? Vets who like cruel and unusual punishment? That's what my hounds would consider this.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets