[Dailydrool] no more foster homes

Deborah L Hartpence hartpence at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 18 07:47:16 PDT 2008

I just got an email from Ohio Basset Rescue, who I foster for, and the email said that they will stop taking in dogs, due to a lack of foster homes.  This is the saddest thing that can happen to a rescue organization, because we all know what happens to dogs in shelters if they are not adopted or taken in by rescues.  OBR has taken in every dog they found in shelters for the past 11 years, and now will have to stop or greatly reduce their intake somehow.  They have always taken in dogs regardless of their age or medical conditions.  My first foster dog  needed  surgery on his hip, and OBR took care of it, to make him adoptable.  Another foster dog was in very ill health and needed teeth pulled, again, OBR took care of him.  We have many senior dogs that may or may not get adopted, and every dog taken in gets neutered/spayed, all shots, microchipped-the whole nine yards. We have some dogs that are permanent fosters, as they are not adoptable due to temperament or medical
 condition, but they will be cared for the rest of their life by these OBR volunteers.
The purpose of this email is to beg, once again, for anyone who can help, who can open their homes to just one more dog on a temporary basis, to foster for their local rescue.  If you are in or near Ohio, please fill out an application to foster so that we can continue to save these dogs that people throw away, to give them another chance to see that life is not as bad as what they have known in the past.  So they can get the secure feeling of a bed every night, food every day, and hugs and belly rubs on a regular basis.  In the end, that is all they ask for, and it is not too much to ask for, is it?
www.ohiobassetrescue.org