[Dailydrool] [There is a God in the Post Office]

bsturnbaugh at adams.net bsturnbaugh at adams.net
Fri Apr 18 09:20:37 PDT 2008

I thought some of you might like this even though Abbey was not a Basset
Hound.
Brenda - Mom to Daisy Mae and Emmy Lou

              There is a God in the Post Office

              This is one of the kindest things I've ever experienced. I
have no way to know who sent it, but there is a beautiful
soul working in the dead letter office of the US postal
service.

              Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month.The day after
she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and
talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we
could write a letter to God so that wh en Abbey got to
heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought
we could so she dictated these words:�

              Dear God,

              Will you please take ca re of my dog? She died yesterday and
is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that
you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.

              I hope you will play with her. She likes to play with balls
and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see
her. You will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.

              Love, Meredith.

              We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and
Meredith hand addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return
address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the
front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of
stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That
afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post
office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the
letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.

              Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our
front porch addressed, "To Meredith , "in an unfamiliar
hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers
called, "When a Pet Dies." Taped to the inside front cover
was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope.
On the opposite page was the picture of A bbey & Meredith
and this note:

              Dear Meredith,

              Abbey arrived safely in heaven.

              Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey ri ght
away.

              Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is he re with me just
like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog.
Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any
pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to
you in this little book for you to keep and have something
to remember Abbey by.

              Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for
helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful
mother you have. I picked her especially for you.

              I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you
very much.

              By the way, I'm easy to find, I am wherever there is love.

              Love,
              God

Sent using Adams WebMail --- http://www.adams.net
Adams NetWorks - "Keeping you connected worldwide!"