[Dailydrool] MABEL

MsBBeaBear at cs.com MsBBeaBear at cs.com
Fri Apr 18 17:37:47 PDT 2008

Mabels here.  She arrived about 10 this morning.   She is mostly blind.  Food
aggressive with the blindness.  I was not sure how to handle her.  Melissa
brought her from Maryland in her car.  She loves to ride.  When she got here,
we found out she dosen't like to be picked up.  Since her sight is limited she
was a little spookey about a metal cart that was on the floor next to her.
When we went to get her out she snapped at  us.  Oh boy.   Anyway,  I grabbed
Barney s car ramp.  Then I got a treat.  Enticed her down the ramp.  When she
got on the ground, she walked around checking out things.  I had to get her up a
30 ft ramp to the back deck and then thru the house to her back room.  I
started to clap at her so she could hear me.  She immediately reacted by following
me.  I was amazed.  Went right in the house and past my other Bassets who
were barking behind a gate in the family room.  She went right back to her room
as though she knew where she was.  AFter I got her settled in,  I brought her
some food.  She ate half of it but really sucked up the water more.  I got her
an orthopedic mattress bed, but she preferred to sleep on a throw rug.  There
is a leather couch in the room with those plastic steps that go up to it.  I
was told she would never be able to do them with her arthirtis.  Anyway,  I had
to go to work for two hours so I left.  When I came back, she was sleeping on
her bed.  I still had not gone in the room with her.  I have to admit I
wasn't sure what she would do,. so I talked and sang to her at the gate.   Tonight,
I finally went around the house and into the porch door to the room she is
in.  I just stood there to see what she would do.  She came over and looked up
at me as if to say,  whats the problem.  So I opened up the porch door and we
went outside.  She walked around for a good hour, then she wanted in.  And
guess what,  she jumped up on the couch and laid down.  Wow,  I think she likes it
here.  I haven't united her with the the other dogs, but I think maybe
tomorrow we will see what happens.  She wants to get out the gate when she sees
them.  I think she is going to be fine.  We just have to watch any food, and our
fingers.  LOL.   She is beautiful and almost 14.  What an inspiration she is.
With all the abuse she has had,  I can't believe she didn't want to take my
arm off.  She is so sweet.  I can only imagine what she was like as a baby. I
haven't touch her yet.  I think that will take time.  I just let her wander
around doing her thing.  I did however sit in a chair and she just walked around
like that was fine with her.   She has only been here less than 12 hours.  I am
just in awe.
Renee