[Dailydrool] Update - Priss / Priscilla - The Toenail Girl

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Sat Apr 19 09:33:00 PDT 2008

Just wanted to thank **everyone** for their words of encouragement,
kindness, and equal shock at how this elder lady came in.  I will update the
page I made with photos of her beautiful senior (spelled correctly this
time!) self later this evening so folks can see the sweet hound that was
attached to those horrible nails.

She's at BROOD's main vet in Hagerstown ... Cumberland Valley Veterinary
Clinic ... they see soo many bassets thanks to Brood .. and this wasn't a
first for them .... but still a shocker.   Their first move was to do a
blood workup to make sure she was healthy and could withstand treatments.
She passed with flying colors (albeit her white blood cell count was high -
go figure with those nails) and after they were sure, they gave her the
silly gas, then the sleepy drug, and took those nails off, twisted them back
out of the pads, and soaked her tootsies in betadine...

As for my part of the transport, I'm done, but still anxious to hear how
she's doing .. her next step after vetting will be looking for fosters in
the WV, VA, MD, DC, lower PA even Delaware areas ... or she may be housed
temporarily at the wonderful Animal Kingdom Kennels just south of Hagerstown
in Fairplay MD ... they make trips for Brood's hounds to CVVC since they are
so close and get excellent attention and evaluation with other hounds..

I know it may sound like plugging businesses .. but really I can't say
enough good things about either Cumberland Valley Veterinary or Animal
Kingdom.. where I help transport hounds to and fro ... these are the places
that take care of the bassets short or long term till they are ready for
fosters and well enough to travel..

If anyone does have a few dollars to spare, I know BROOD needs the funds,
not just for Priscilla, but for many other hounds that have been brought in
with bills behind them.. I know one of Brood's fosters is covering the cost
of Chemo for "just another dog", a Basset that someone else gave up on and
Brood took in.. and even though their ramble is coming up, I know the funds
will be needed throughout the year... so many hounds.. so little time....

Anyway.. Again.. Thank you to ALL OF YOU for your emails and support!

-Robert

Brood's Website:   http://www.brood-va.org

Animal Kingdom:   http://www.akkennel.com/

Cumberland Valley Veterinary:  http://www.cumberlandvalleyvets.com/