[Dailydrool] Dailydrool Digest, Vol 2, Issue 27

Jaclyn Whitehorn jwhitehorn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 08:24:24 PDT 2008

> I have never thought about this type of thing. This is scary. Recently we
> had an adoption applicant that mentioned that her last 2 dogs both died of
> cancers. One of the spleen and the other from intestinal cancer. This makes
> me wonder if chemicals are possibly the cause.

Hi Robbie,

Out of the four bassets I've lost over the years, 3 have been cancer:
  * Missy - anal gland adenocarcinoma.  Probably had it when we
adopted her, died at around 9 years old
  * Jake - tumor of the spleen felt after euthanasia.  She was 14.
  * Hannah - abdominal cancer.  She may also have been 14, hard to say.

The only one that wasn't cancer was Otis, who bloated at 16.  I'd
really hate for people to think that I was  doing something wrong or
not being careful with chemicals around my dogs ... I'd much rather
them look at my dogs' ages and realize that they were eventually going
to get something fatal, and cancer is one of the most common things.
Even if a person lost two dogs to cancer at young ages, I tend to
blame really bad luck.

Jaclyn
and the youngsters Abbie and Josh