[Dailydrool] Help me understand some distinctions in terms used on the Drool

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 00:42:44 PDT 2008

I have been a member of the drool for several months now (and love it), but find myself confused at times about distinctions regarding certain terms used (not in the drool dictionary).  I am not a breeder, just a slave to two fabulous multiply-pre-owned (rescued?) hounds.  What I thought I'd try to do is outline what I think I've figured out or surmised from various posts, and then ask for help correcting the errors in my understanding and filling in the blanks.

  The terms I'm looking at are "responsible breeder", "irresponsible breeder", "hobby breeder", "backyard breeder", "puppy mill", "rescue" vs. "so-called rescue".
  Here goes my attempt--
    Responsible breeder:
      1. Breeds hounds with specific attention to health/eliminating any genetic problems; promoting excellent temperament; and adhering to breed standards of the country's kennel club.  (Is this the "goal" referred to in some posts or are there other, more specific goals?)
      2. Does not breed any one bitch often or many times total.
      3. Keeps good living conditions for the hounds; warm shelter, good food, good healthcare, good socialization, exercise, and lots of love.
      4.  Probably shows dogs and has champion status in the breeding lines
      5. Is affiliated with some sort of breeder's association
      6. Carefully screens potential adopters of puppies and guarantees to take back puppies that don't work out for any reason.
   An irresponsible breeder:
      Is one who fails on any one of 1,2,3,(4),or 6?
   A hobby breeder:
      I have no idea what this means.
   A backyard breeder:
      I don't really know what this means, either, though I suspect it means someone who fails on two or more of the above, possibly someone who has a single pair of hounds not of particularly distinguished lineage? Is there such a thing as a frontyard breeder?
   A puppy mill:
      Someone who probably fails on all six of the above and sells through pet stores to boot?
   On the rescue score,
   A basset rescue is a volunteer-run organization which
     a. Takes pre-owned hounds who have become homeless for one reason or another
     b. Takes care of their veterinary needs
     c. Places the hounds in individual foster homes where they are loved, sheltered, fed and cared for like members of the foster family
     d. Carefully screens potential adopters, and adopts out the hounds to qualified homes
     e. Takes back the hounds if there are any problems after the adoption
     f. Is probably affiliated with some kind of national organization
  A "so-called" rescue:
    Calls itself a "rescue" but fails on b., c.,d., e., or f. ?

  How close is all of this?  What am I missing or have I misunderstood?

  Have a wonderful time to all who are Waddle bound--wish we could come, and drool to all in need.  Thanks also to all who have posted basset pictures.  Another time, perhaps someone could tell me how to post a picture on the Internet?  Snooters.  Val, Beauregard, and Harley