[Dailydrool] Help me understand some distinctions in terms used on the Drool

Dan Hickey dhickey at m-audio.com
Mon Apr 21 09:38:36 PDT 2008

I think you have it all pretty well down. I'll only chime in on the
hobby breeder group.  This is a relatively new term created to
differentiate those who are "not in it for the money" or are not
commercial breeders. This would include all/most responsible breeders
and a very few backyard breeders "Mopsie just HAS to have puppies, she's
so cute."

There wouldn't be a need for this term if the Animal Rights people, bent
on eliminating all pets, hadn't targeted show breeders and tried to blur
the lines between agribusiness with dogs as livestock (pet stores) and
selling a litter or two a year to help offset costs of showing and
breeding dogs (and yes, this is usually done in the backyard).

Your difficulty with the terms is universal. When you've finished the
definitions I'd like a copy.

Dan Hickey