[Dailydrool] Another update on Iris

Elizabeth Kielley EKielley at messiah.edu
Mon Apr 21 08:20:24 PDT 2008

4/20
Dear Liz-
I just had to let you know this dog is truly an Angel in disguise!
She seems to worm her way wherever we go.  And a joy to take--altho we
are working on who's leading who.  Anyway today we went to our
grandson's first baseball game.  He's 11 yrs old and has Fragile X
Syndrome and this was his first ever game--As you would imagine, both
teams were made up of children with"Special needs"  We arrive with
Miss Iris and she's an immediate hit, being so laid back and cool with
all these children around her.  One Little boy around 11 or so, upon
seeing her quickly ran into the safety of the cage that surrounded the
dugout.  His mom told us he has been afraid of all dogs all his life
and wouldn't come near us.  However, he kept checking her out and she
would just watch him and wag the body which made him laugh at her.
This went on for a number of innings [3 hrs to be exact]  and as
everyone was leaving the field at the end of the game, this child's
mother tapped me on the shoulder and with tears in her eyes, pointed
to IRIS.  Here was this little boy sitting on the ground next to IRIS
and petting her and she was lavishing in the attention and smiled as
if to say I Knew I could win
him over!  She slurrped him and he asked if she could come to another
game.  My grandson answered " of course she'll be here, she loves us!!
The mom said that was the very first time he had ever gotten near a
dog.!  See, she's magical!  Thank you again for "keeping" her for
me![I'd appreciate it if you would pass this on to Jaime as I don''t
have her e-mail]
Love, Iris and Mary