[Dailydrool] Incessant Barking

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 19:41:38 PDT 2008

Hi Everyone,

I think we're starting to have a problem, here. Humphrey is now 6 1/2 months
old and for the most part, he's an incredibly well-behaved puppy. But
lately, every time my boyfriend or I try to leave him in the crate and go
out, he barks incessantly. This is new behavior, within the past week or so.
Previously, whenever we left him in the crate, he'd whine quietly for a few
minutes and then settle down. Now, it's loud, angry, jarring barking. When
we do leave him, we follow the same ritual we've always done. We don't make
a big deal out of the fact that we're leaving, or our arrival home. When we
come home, he's always quiet in his crate - usually, in fact, sound asleep.

If we lived in a house, we'd go the 'tough love' route and just leave him to
his barking. But we live in a 4th floor apartment with neighbors above,
below, next door, and across the hall. I've tried to find out how long he
barks by waiting in the hallway but he's so loud that I've given up after
about 2 minutes for fear of disturbing my neighbors.

Is there anything I can do to get Humphrey to take being crated quietly
again? He sleeps happily and voluntarily in his crate at night, so he's not
suddenly afraid of it. I think it's separation anxiety. Is it a puberty
thing (he's intact)? Or should I just figure out how to soundproof my
windows and doors and hope for the best?

Thanks for whatever advice anyone can give. Thoughts & well wishes (Humphrey
doesn't drool) to those in need.

-Rebecca, Kit & Humphrey