[Dailydrool] Ant hills

Esther Strom esthermstrom at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 08:28:45 PDT 2008

Sarah,

I seem to recall that citrus is a natural repellant. The (possibly old-wives-tale) solution I've heard is to put citrus peel and water in a blender to liquefy, then pour over the anthill.

Here are a few other natural solutions I found online at http://www.gnomestories.com/gnomesites/wiladvice.htm#i (I've never tried any of them):

Start by drowning the ants with boiling water. Approximately three gallons of boiling water to each mound should do the trick. Follow with a natural repellent of citrus peelings and water. Blend in a blender and pour it over the anthill.

You can either saturate cotton balls with peppermint oil or mix it up in a spray bottle with water and apply where needed.

Another natural remedy is to mix equal parts of sugar and borax. Place the sugar/borax mixture strategically around the yard in small containers (jar lids work just fine). The ants are attracted to the sugar and carry it back to the mound and within a week or two the borax will kill the mound.

One other natural remedy is to use instant grits or cream of wheat. Sprinkle the grits over the mound. The ants will eat the grits and the grits will expand and blow up inside them. This method has been known to remove an ant hill within a day or two.

Esther Strom
Visit my Etsy shop: http://HookedByEsther.etsy.com