[Dailydrool] Ant Hills

Marie28443 at aol.com Marie28443 at aol.com
Sun Apr 27 15:05:08 PDT 2008

After fighting ants, mostly fire ants, for  years, an old timer told me that
the only real way to get rid of them was to buy  a bag of grits at the grocery
store and liberally sprinkle grits on the ground  from the mound to about a
foot out from the mound in a circle.   You  have to keep replenishing the grits
on the ground and after a heavy rain as the  ants will carry them off within
a day.  The man's theory was that the  worker ants carry food back into the
underground nest and eventually to the  queen.   When the ants eat the grits,
they supposedly get clogged  systems and die off.

One thing I did learn from an Ace Hardware  salesman who knew a lot about
ants was that where you see the hills is not where  the queen is living and you
have to get to the queen.  She can be safely  residing up to a half a mile from
the hills in your yard.

We did the  grits treatment for several years when we were living in Florida
and it worked  just as well as anything you could buy and there were no
harmful chemicals on  the lawn for our Bassets to walk on.

Marie
Rhett, Scarlet and Megan  Mariah

listings at AOL Autos.