[Dailydrool] Invisible fences

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 14:03:39 PDT 2008

My mother called me last night to tell me of this horrible news.  She has
two chocolate labs and uses an invisible fence. Her neighbors across the
road also have 2 chocolate labs and an invisible fence. The neighbors had a
rip in their line and their dogs managed to get into my mother's yard. They
finally fixed it about a week ago and all was fine until a few days ago.
For some reason, the female chocolate lab was able to get through
(neighbor's dog) and a few nights ago my mother heard brakes and a loud
bang.  The female (Hailey) was hit by an SUV and rolled into my mother's
yard. She was wearing her collar. The male across the road was going crazy,
but couldn't get through his fence line as were my mother's 2 labs who were
back further with their fence line.  Hailey was killed instantly, but the
woman driver just lost her grandmother last week and had her 2 small
children in the vehicle who were traumatized from this accident.  I would
never personally have an invisible fence, but if you use one with your
bassets, please, please make sure all is right with the fences and receivers
often.  My children were even upset about Hailey being killed as they knew
her.  Now her mate Amoe is grieving her loss.  My mother lives at the top of
a hill and when she heard the brakes she admits she was afraid it was one of
their two.  I don't think it scared them into doing away with their
invisible fence though.  I was once at a garage sale and they had a basset
who barked at the mailman and chased him to a certain point of the yard. I
said wow, he is sure trained and the woman told me he was trained to the
invisible fence and they lived in the town, which made them very close to
the road.  It just makes me personally nervous using the invisible fence,
but to each their own.

DRool to all in need,
Dee, Maggie, Mazzie and Oliver