[Dailydrool] Subject: Re: microchips

Randy S. Miller meistersinger1 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 25 14:58:35 PDT 2008

On Apr 25, 2008, at 12:07 AM, dailydrool-request at dailydrool.org wrote:

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 19:48:53 -0400
> From: Alan Folsom <alan at folsoms.net>
> Subject: Re: [Dailydrool] microchips
> To: dailydrool at dailydrool.org
>

> Seven years ago when I got my rescue beagle, he was microchipped in
> Kentucky.  Bringing him here to Southeastern PA I was told that that
> was
> a system used down there, but  an entirely different microchip system
> was used in this area.
>
> I don't know what has happened in the intervening seven years,
> though I
> would have hoped this would have sorted itself out.
>
> I  too would be interested in  any knowledge of the various
> microchipping systems in use.
>
> Al

Belive me, it takes Y\years, if not decades, for an industry to agree
on a standard.  I remember, almost 25 years ago after I got my
master's in Library and Information Science, how long it took the
microcomputer and mainframe library automation vendors to standardize
on a systems data interchange format.  There was a standard cataloging
format, developed by the Library of Congress in the late '60's, but it
wasn't until recently (like in the last 15 years), that they could
agree on a common interchange format.   I remember the fun trying to
get a competing book jobber's data to load into my employer (at the
time) automation system product.  It may take a while for the
microchip vendors to straighten out their differences.

Randy