[Dailydrool] nose color

Cblatz Cblatz at zoominternet.net
Sat Apr 26 08:25:23 PDT 2008

I'm not at all sure that hormones play a part in nose color.
 I have a spayed 8 year old basset, a spayed 8 year old beagle, an intact 3 year old basset and a Black,Tan intact 5 year old Dachshund.  The Bassets and Beagle are dark tris.  The above 4 keep their Black noses all year around.

I have a Red/White intact female Basset and a Red intact male Dachshund.  Their noses fade in the Winter.  I add humidity in the winter so no cracked noses.

For winter shows I add Kelp to their dinners to even out coloration.  When I do this the Red Dachshunds nose gets really Black and the Red/White Basset's nose darkens to a very dark brown which is acceptable for her light coloring.

So I think the nose color is more genetic then anything else.  Sunlight probably helps.  Winter air is very dry and  putting a pan of water on radiators or using a humidifer should go a long way to prevent cracked noses in the winter.

Cathy