[Dailydrool] Daisy Mae is at the Rainbow Bridge

Patti Pike pattipike7 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 26 20:47:24 PDT 2008

My Daisy Mae went to the Rainbow Bridge late Thursday night.  She had become very weak, had trouble trying to get up, had lost her hearing and the vision in one eye, and at times become disoriented. With the arthritis and tumor on her adrenal gland, she was very tired.  Miss Daisy would have been 13 years old in May.

Daisy brought so much joy and love to all the neighbors, and since January has been having rides in the Radio Flyer ATW (all terrain wagon) we received as a Christmas gift.  She used steps to climb into the wagon from the rear end of the wagon when I lifted the red fence that went around the edges of the wagon. Upon returning home, she would again climb out of the wagon, using the steps to climb down but this time from the side of the wagon. She loved getting to ride in the wagon in the fresh air and slept most of the time on a furry blanket, covered with another blanket, sometimes with only her head sticking out.

I rescued Daisy when she was 5 years old and had not been house broken as she had never been permitted into a house.  She spent her days outside in Denver's summers and winters, and went to the basement to a kennel at night.   But in a few short months, she passed the test to become a therapy dog.  She brought so much love and happiness to patients and the staff at Littleton Adventist Hospital.  For her visits she would always dress in a hat and some kind of a neck scarf!  She never figured out how the large glass double doors at the hospital would know to open just when she arrived.  With great dignity, she would prance in style into the hospital, by herself, off leash.
She would hold her head high as if to say, "Here I am, look at me!,"  And then we could hear people saying, "Daisy's here," " There's Daisy," and "What does Daisy have on today?"  I think her "cowgirl hats" were her favorite, but she also dressed for each holiday, as well as a Denver Bronco fan!  Many patients would ask if Daisy could get into bed with them, and many patients told her "You just made my day!".  She always visited with the staff at the Nurses Station, the staff in the lab, x-ray, waiting rooms and made herself known in the people in the lunchroom connected to the cafeteria.

Bella, whom Daisy and I rescued last October, doesn't understand where Daisy has gone.  And I continue to look for her and listen for her.  We are so lost without her, as Daisy  was my life!  There's such a deep hole in my heart, but I know she is without pain now, and running around with all my other bassets who have gone before her.

Patti
Food Slave to 3 year old Bella,
and those already at the Bridge:  Pokey, Duchess, Dolly, Tiger, Scooby Doo (female), and now Daisy Mae