[Dailydrool] Linalool (ant hills etc)

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Mon Apr 28 08:50:45 PDT 2008

Citrus as pesticide is not really new information, and is not actually a
wives tale.  I was involved in the pest control industry for years with
my family business, and I remember when the new product, containing
"Linalool" came on the market.  A chemical researcher was trying to kill
fleas, had them in a Petri dish, and peeled his lunch orange near them.
He noticed that they died.  How? By being squirted with the oil that the
orange peel exudes when it is bent.  The rest is history.  I can't tell
you if it is toxic to us or dogs, but I doubt it can do much harm to us.
We have been peeling and eating oranges in the presence of our dogs for
thousands of years, and there are no issues in the average household.
See the Wikipedia article about it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linalool

Gaylene Opal-Deitering

My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a
reflection of it!