[Dailydrool] Slow medical care

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Tue Apr 29 17:55:28 PDT 2008

<< As far as being ignored by the local vet's office - I have a big loud mouth.  I will not hesitate to use it when there's an emergency and that was before my sister worked there.  Yes, I have a reputation.  I once told the receptionist to hang up because I had
an emergency - she was not pleased - but my dog was very sick.  She complained about me and the vet sided with me - the dog could not wait.>>

I have a cautionary tale on this subject.

When I was very young, we had a beagle named Laddie. My brother unwittingly tied him up over a wasp's nest in a neighbor's yard. Laddie got extremely badly stung.

When my dad discovered this, he rushed Laddie to the vet's. The girl at the desk gave him a runaround because he didn't have an appointment.

My dad, who was generally the soul of tact, barged into one of the rooms where a vet was examining another animal. He got immediate service.

This was probably in the days before emergency clinics, but the vet knew what he had to do and did it. Unfortunately, it did not save Laddie's life. I'll always wonder if those precious seconds made the difference between life and death.

If anyone gives you a hard time about such things, do what my dad did--he would have given you permission.

On a human side, I had a similar situation in the hospital this week. I just got back from a week-long stay there that should have been no more than four days, tops. I won't bore you with the details, but when my cardiologist discovered what had gone on while he had people covering for him, he told me in no uncertain terms that I should have called HIM, even though he was not on call at the moment.

I think most competent medical personnel would agree with him. If a doctor has staff that put lives at risk (fortunately mine wasn't), she should know it (I say she because according to what I've read, most vets nowadays are female). Appropriate action can then be taken.

I called a vet when I thought Bel had a UTI. The girl at the other end of the phone wouldn't give me an appointment for days. When I told her that he could die in that time, she admitted she knew that. Guess what vet will never get my patronage? When people ask what vet they should go to, I will also warn them away from this guy.

If enough people refuse to go to a vet, she will go out of business. This is something she should be concerned about if she wants to stay in practice.

If worse comes to worst, remind her of that!
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets