[Dailydrool] Sebaceous cyst advice

Porters porters at chartertn.net
Tue Apr 29 19:56:19 PDT 2008

Hello,

My Rosie has had 4 separate episodes with sebaceous cysts (like a
giant pimple), all in different locations.  This has been our experience:
1st cyst:  vet drained it and cauterized with silver nitrate.  This
was evidently painful, Rosie hid under the kitchen table for 2 days afterward.
2nd cyst:  was below the skin/fur surface and I didn't know it was
there until it ruptured blood and sebum-it had become infected.  More
Rosie under the kitchen table.  Vet cleaned out the cavity and put
her on antibiotics.
3rd cyst:  At this point, I knew what these were and I decided to
just watch it until I saw that it was changing size.  Vet was
clipping hair around it to examine it and it ruptured.  This time the
wound seeped goo for several days.  More antibiotics.
4th cyst:  Seemed to be bothering Rosie (it was on her side and she
couldn't reach it, but kept trying to get to it) so vet inserted a
needle to try and extract the sebum/oil.  Rosie did not seem to be in
pain afterward, but it is filling up again so this approach is
clearly not effective.

Obviously this is going to be a chronic problem with Rosie.  Her
skin/coat is healthy otherwise.  Has anyone had experience with
recurring sebaceous cysts?  I'm trying to figure out how to handle
them, and haven't really been satisfied with the approaches so
far.  The drain with silver nitrate was the quickest resolution with
no infection, but Rosie acted like it was very painful (she is a
princess though).  I've read that hot water compresses help to loosen
the sebum so it can be reabsorbed by the body-anyone know if this is
helpful?  If it is, I'm not sure if she'll sit still for me to apply
a compress!

Thanks for the advice!

Shelley (Rosie's Mom)