[Dailydrool] fighting dogs

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Wed Apr 30 05:33:50 PDT 2008

Hi Alicia,

I have the same problem with my Brutus, who is a most possessive boy.
Actually, all of my boys are possessive, and can't be loose in the house
at the same time.  I understand completely how you are shattered by
this, and how helpless it makes you feel when you have a dog fight that
you can't control, when there is blood everywhere, and you feel that you
have to make a choice between your dogs and for their own safety.

I have six dogs, so my solution, which is far from perfect, works for
me.  I have separate yards for the day, and they are crated in the house
for sleep time.  The boys don't fight with the girls, so everyone has a
yard buddy that they can play with and snuggle when it is not their turn
in the house with Mommy and Clover.  Arthur and Rocky get along pretty
well as long as I am not out with them, so they are together with one of
the girls.  Obviously this won't work for you!  The solution that I have
offered to my puppy buyers is to hire Bark Busters.  They have a very
"Dog Whisperer" approach, and they guarantee their work for the life of
the dog.  It is well worth the money to hire them!  They have a
wonderful website at http://www.barkbusters.com/

If I could afford to hire them, I would do it in a heartbeat, but my
husband is underemployed and I am just trying to keep my electricity on!
You could pay $150.00 for obedience classes, and then another couple
hundred for vet bills from an abscessed bite wound, and another hundred
for another set of classes that won't work, or you could just pay the
money one time to Bark Busters and get the job done and have peace in
your household.

Until that time, go to your local Tractor Supply and buy something
called "Blue Kote", which is a livestock wound spray that contains
gentian violet (great stuff, I use it all the time (even on me) and get
no infected wounds)  Then go to your local store and buy some "Bactine"
or other "ouchless" wound wash, and then get some "Crazy glue".  My vet
says that crazy glue is the same as suture glue, and can be used to stop
bleeding in ear wounds.  Arthur is my bleeder, so if they get in a
tussle, he is always the one who looks like a war victim (of course, I
do to by the time he has shaken his head a couple of times)  Make sure
that you use good sense in cleaning and treating wounds, and never glue
something shut unless you are sure that it is absolutely clean and
shallow, never glue a deep puncture!!!  Abscesses are very nasty and
expensive to treat once they start!

Call Bark Busters today and get a quote for "One" dog, then go from
there...

Gaylene Opal-Deitering

My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a
reflection of it!