[Dailydrool] Glaucoma

Sally K. Russell sally at slokr.com
Sun Aug 3 15:23:52 PDT 2008

We have been dealing with a crisis with our youngest dog, Browser, who just turned 5.  24 hrs. after having his teeth cleaned using Isoflorene anesthesia, he developed acute glaucoma! Had no problem for the 24 hrs. after the cleaning and was perfectly normal.  Our other dog, Pixel also had this same cleaning and is fine.  There were no complications with Browser's anesthesia and he was under and out of it in 15 minutes.

Suddenly yesterday we saw the third eyelid completely covering his eyes and we rushed him to the vet.  Only his assistant vet was there (Sat. naturally) and she thought it was an allergy and prescribed some ointment.

Hours later we felt this was not the correct diagnosis and took him to the emergency clinic we have used before.  The vet immediately took his eye pressure and got him on a manitol IV drip and eye drops.

 Kept him overnight and now with the correct eyedrops, his pressure is normal.  He is home with us now and tomorrow must go to the vet opthamologist.  We are praying that his eyesight has been preserved.  His pupils are still enlarged so he is mostly keeping his eyes shut but when he opens his eyes appears to be seeing.  The breeder had her dogs examined by a vet opthamologist to rule out her puppies carrying this problem.

No real research on this anesthesia causing glaucoma.  Any insight on any of this will be helpful.  A warning to all as bassets are prone to glaucoma and it is essential to catch this early. We hope are lucky and will know more tomorrow.  Know this must be treated and checked for life.

Sally Russell, Pixel and Browser