[Dailydrool] Allergies

laumag at mts.net laumag at mts.net
Fri Aug 15 10:18:30 PDT 2008

Bryan wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a commercial hypo-allergenic dog
> food I can continue feeding him that doesn't need to be bought at the vet's
> office and doesn't cost $54 for an 18 lb. bag.  He seems to like it (or
> maybe he's just starving  :-).  I am also considering switching him to the
> raw diet but don't feel educated enough on it.

There is no commercial hypo-allergenic dog food. The Vet foods are made by breaking down the protein to the smallest molecular form, so that the dog's immune system cannot recognize it. This process is indicated by the words protein hydrolyzed isolate. Commercial dog food manufacturers generally do not break down protein into this form. Having said that I know how expensive the Vet formulas are and thus would recommend that you either cook for Shiloh and do the elimination diet or try one of the commercial foods that use One Protein, One Carb and One Fat with nutritionally balanced simple ingredients added. There is a choice of two in my marketplace, California Natural and Wellness Simple Solutions.

The foods that are usually the culprits in canine allergies are:
Chicken
Beef
Eggs
Dairy
Corn
Wheat
Soy

Zack has allergies. I am in the discovery process with him. I think it is to beef and chicken. He is eating Canidae Lamb and Rice, with matching wet food and treats. I am going to cut out the wet and hopefully the new Canidae formula will not affect him. He is still eating the old formula.

Feel free to email me privately should you require further information. Working at a pet supply store is so enlightening.

Laurie and Zack