[Dailydrool] Buster

Monlr at aol.com Monlr at aol.com
Tue Aug 26 11:16:42 PDT 2008

First, I would like to thank all of you who sent us condolences on Fonda's
passing on 8/11.  I would have thanked you personally sooner, but on 8/20, just
9 days after Fonda's death, our Buster joined Fonda at the bridge.  Fonda and
Buster were 2 older bassets that we took into our home as fosters, but as no
one was interested in them, they became a permanent part of our family.  They
arrived together 2 years ago, and now they have left us together in the space
of just over a week.  They house seems very empty without them.  Buster,
especially, had a wonderful personality.  He had a hard life, living in a car with
his alcoholic owner and was finally given away through an ad in the nickel
paper.  If Alexa had not taken him into her rescue, he may have come to a very sad
end.  Buster had 2 crippled front legs, totally bowed, and we always marveled
how well he was able to get around.  Despite his handicap, he was the
happiest dog I have ever met, literally dancing for his dinner, for treats, and for
the walks he loved above else.  Buster was a true gentleman basset.  He never
damaged anything in the house or yard, never got on the furniture, never stole
any food, was totally housebroken, and got along with everyone.  His joy was
his soft mattress and any petting he could get.  He was particularly attached
to my husband and would brave the stairs every night (not so easy with his
crippled legs) so that he could sleep next to my husband's side of the bed.  We
had been concerned about his health since we had to go find him in the yard
several times where he had hidden in the bushes, but we thought it was his
arthritic back and legs that were to blame.  So on Friday, the 17th, we took him to
the vet and he was diagnosed with cancer, he had large tumors in his abdomen
and on his spleen.  We took him home with strong pain medication, hoping to have
at least a couple more weeks with him.  It was not to be.  On Sunday, his
condition worsened, and even double doses of pain meds did not help him enough.
So on Monday morning we called the vet and Buster went to the bridge at 11:25
AM.  He did so gently, quietly, and with the dignity with which he had lived
his life.  A grand old gentleman is gone.
Loretta

deal here.