[Dailydrool] Swimming

Katie Strobel katie.strobel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 21:37:38 PDT 2008

Hello droolers!
This is Katie and Watson (not the one whose getting all the
condolences though - we send our condolences and drool to her and all
others needing it). We're so upset with all the departures to the
bridge and sick houndies lately. We're still lighting candles and
keeping our paws crossed and sending all kinds of drool for those in
the path of Gustav. If there is anything we can do, let us know -
we're landlocked in Colorado ... out of the way of any hurricanes so
we'll be watching and praying for all of you.

Watson had his first lake experience today. Watson and I went to a
reservoir in Ft. Collins with the BF, my parents, the border collies,
and my brother. I am incredibly overprotective and a worry-wort so
Watson first stopped off at REI where we picked up his new doggy
life-jacket. It's the RoughWear kind and it's yellow - we didn't have
a camera, but we should have brought it. Watson had a great time. We
got to the boat dock and Watson waded in with me right away! I thought
for sure he would resist and I secretly wondered if he would even go
in after me to get his paws wet. I was certainly suprised when he came
barreling in after me. We got into the boat and went down the lake to
a secluded beach where the border collies could run off leash
(Watson's not allowed ... I'm too terrified about a host of issues
that come up when letting a Basset off leash). Anyway, Watson did
great on the boat. He likes to sit on a lap and have his face in the
breeze while his head rests on the side of the boat. He actually fell
asleep on the way there. I thought he may freak out, but he seemed to
like it just fine. Once at the beach, we had to put him, life jacket
and all, into the water and he had to swim to shore. He did
beautifully though. What a good swimmer! However, he did not like it
when the waves came and got water in his ears...he kept trying to
shake out that water after every wave. While it was hot, he would get
out into the water, try to swim, get water in his ears from the waves,
and go back to shore. We may just have to accept the fact that he's
not a border collie and if he's going to get water in his ears, he
doesn't want to swim...,but who knows - maybe it was just a new weird
feeling sensation. Personally, I have an awful ear infection problem,
and always have. I absolutely cannot get water in my ears or I will
have the worst pain imaginable accompanied by an ear infection. I know
dogs can get ear infections, but is it like humans that water can
cause ear infections because it cant escape? Is this something we
should try not to do? I don't want to have caused ear pain for Watson
- he seems fine now - he's exhausted...but just for future
reference...is it bad to let bassets get water in the ears?

Our day was wonderful all together. The border collies had never been
to a lake either and they absolutely loved the freedom that came with
our own private beach and the swimming in the water. Watson liked to
run with us on the beach and chase the border collies when they came
ashore. He also liked to dig in the nice cool sand. He's so cute when
he digs...those huge paws can move so much sand! We did have to watch
him carefully though with the digging...he found some burnt hot dogs
that another beach user must have buried and thought safe. Little did
they know that Watson can smell out hidden hot dogs just about
anywhere. We had to leave when an afternoon thunderstorm came in
because the border collies, being neurotic as they are, cannot stand
thunderstorms. When we got home, everyone had baths which was quite a
production with all that sand, and now they've all been passed out for
hours! I think Watson will sleep for a week - he exhausted himself
today.

We send hidden hot dog flavored drool to all those who need it.
Katie and Watson (snoozin and smelling like a spring flower)