[Dailydrool] W-A-L-K

Hinchliffe at aol.com Hinchliffe at aol.com
Fri Aug 1 13:27:20 PDT 2008

Duchess not only knew every word, but she could read lips.   Truly.

She lost all of her hearing as she reached 15, but still had great  eyesight,
and still adored her walks.  Testing her one day, I just mouthed  "do you
want to go for a walk" as she looked at me, and she jumped up in that  excited
way she only did for walks, twirled in a happy donut shape, and  gallumped over
to the door, wagging every molecule.

So, from then on, whenever it was time to go, I would just mouth the words,
and she knew.  If I talked to her about other things, she'd look at my  lips,
not recognize anything that interested her (she also could lip-read  "dinner"
and would race -- well, tumble -- out to the kitchen), and have no  interest,
just sigh and waddle away, downtrodden by the unfairness of the  world.

Beth (Duchess ATB and Blueberry ATB)

Read reviews on AOL Autos.