[Dailydrool] RAW DIETS

Marilyn Bickell mbickellhounds at comcast.net
Sun Aug 3 19:40:39 PDT 2008

>>>From: Marsdoxy2 at aol.com

... " Natures Variety " Has anyone ever used their foods?...<<<

Marlene,

Yes, I've been feeding Nature's Variety Raw patties for about 4 years.

>>>... she "sort of " convinced me that if I would start feeding my girls a
raw diet  that they would be healthier, and i would not have the anal gland
issues ????...<<<

Depends on the dog. Some dogs make a complete turnaround with anal gland
issues when fed a raw diet. But some do not. My 3 hounds are perfect
examples of not turning around with Nature's Variety raw. BUT I do feed raw
meaty bones ~~ turkey necks, mostly ~~ and that does help the anal glands
because the RMBs firm the stools which helps the glands release easier.
These guys LOVE turkey necks. On days that I don't feed necsk, Beaver will
often walk away from his other raw food/s if there's not a neck in his bowl.

>>>... But Maggie is the one with severe allergies and occasional colitis,
but  she assured me that "most if not all " of the problems would go ...<<<

Where is that woman. I need to smack her ;o)

Depending on what Maggie is allergic to, she will be allergic to it no
matter what form the food is in! For example, if she's allergic to chicken
then she WILL be allergic to the chicken in Nature's Variety Raw and/or the
NV kibble.
You have to be really careful feeding a raw diet to a dog who tends to have
bouts of Colitis. One of my hounds, Beaver, has Colitis, but he does fine on
raw. Depending on the severity Of Maggie's Colitis, will depend on whether
or not she can tolerate a raw diet.

>>>... Am I being taken for being STUPID ...<<<

OMG, not at all! Food Reps are paid to sell the food they represent, and
they can be very convincing, no matter what company they're schlepping.
Nature's Variety Raw is a very decent food; heck, I wouldn't feed it if it
wasn't. But whoever is selling it is GOING TO SELL IT. Ya' know? :o)

(As a side note, I also feed Primal Raw Patties).

>>>... I have NO experience with feeding a raw diet! ...<<<

I fed an all raw diet for 6 years, but about a year ago I switched to a
combo diet of raw, some kibble and canned.

Marilyn, Miko (Chasing lizards in Heaven), Bess, RoseyMae, and Beaver
Cleaver,
Fort Bragg, CA

"You have gone ahead and nothing is the same, leaving paw prints on my heart
that will always remain."- Tibetan Proverb from Prayers on the Wind.