[Dailydrool] My trip to Monterey

Valerie and John Epps eppsval26 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 3 21:02:42 PDT 2008

I had to share my latest Basset story with you all.  I was on a business trip in Monterey and I was driving along with my co-workers (my boss was driving).  Anyway, low and behold, I glanced out the window and saw a Basset walking down the street.  I yelled, "stop, stop, pull-over there's a Basset!"  My boss was confused, but I kept yelling, pull-over, pull-over!  There was this gorgeous red and white Basset roming down the road all by herself.  I jumped out and called to her, "puppy, puppy, puppy" (the only thing my Bassets respond to) and she came running to me.  She didn't have a collar so I put her in my bosses car (without permission, just instinct).  Then I started looking around for people or signs of Basset owners.  I went up and down the street knocking on doors and nobody answered.  I started to wonder, "what the heck am I going to do with her?"  Then I heard this loud howling baying from my bosses car and I thought, "oh, my gosh."  I had to laugh but was also
 thinking what the heck am I going to do?"  I'm sure the five co-workers also wondered what the heck I was going to do too.  Then in response to the howling a man came running out of his house.  He was yelling, "Beau, Beau."  I was yelling back, "she's in my car."  It was such a happy reunion.  He was so thankful and being that his wife was gone he told me that I had, "saved his life."  He told me that for sure his wife would've killed him for letting her out when she got home.
  I felt like it was so meant to be and ironic that this whole thing happened.  I'm so thankful for the happy ending too!
In the excitement I forgot to ask if they were "droolers."

Valerie Epps
  http://www.myspace.com/runwaybassethounds
  Member of Concerned Dog Owners of CA, a group dedicated to preserving dog owners rights CDOC-ACTION
  Find out how you can help homeless hounds in the Central Valley at:  www.bassetcentral.org