[Dailydrool] Fussy eaters

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Mon Aug 4 18:08:53 PDT 2008

<<Well,  instead of doing that I simply tried to take the celery
away.  I said to  her if you aren't going to eat it, I will give it to the kitty. That is  enough for her, she ate it. >>

I have always found that the fear that someone else will be getting the food will encourage a hound's appetite. When Alexis came to our house as a foster, the others loved carrots. The first time or two, Lex looked at me as if I were about to murder her with this orange stuff. But when she saw Bel and Jane gobble it up, suddenly our new little girl liked carrots too.

If I am having trouble with a fussy eater, I will sometimes let another hound come nearby. It's almost certain that the food will disappear. If it doesn't, you can be certain something is wrong--an upset stomach or something that requires a vet visit.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets