[Dailydrool] Thanks to all who responded on whining in the car ?

Winn & Faye Mauk winn01 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 4 18:42:05 PDT 2008

Thanks to all who responded both on and off line to my question.
I suppose it is comforting to know that my Annie isn't the only
one who whines in the van.
Another question: do any of you secure your Hounds in seat belts
for dogs? I don't know that Annie would stand for it, but just a thought
if it is the movement causing the whining.

She rides on my lap a lot...yeah, a 55 pound Basset on my long legs
which are thrust upon the dash..
Our Mozart use to ride like that and loved it, so quiet, and peaceful
on very long trips. Annie likes my lap, but not my legs...she likes the
window,
but still whines when she gets to have her head out, but then the other two
would like a turn, too.
We have taken her out by herself, just to give her a special outing, and
while she knows
she is being given special treatment, she still whines.

Does anyone crate their hounds while driving?...most everyone said that
their hounds  paced to and fro
throughout the car...so I am stretching for answers.

I liked the dramamine idea...we have given baby aspirin before, and it may
have helped some, but not totally.
Treats we have tried...but that causes messes sometimes, and still doesn't
stop the whine.

Destination rewards, such as walking half way through a short trip from
home, then to come back
home...they are tired, then, so that helps with the two, but Annie still
does her whine.We are hoping
that by continually doing repetitive trips, that she will realize there is a
reward, and not whine after a while
on trips, because they know they will be going for a walk.

If anyone sees any info out there anywhere, I would be so happy to try
almost anything.
Please email me directly, and if something works, I will post it promptly.
You are such an awesome wealth of information, and I do appreciate the