[Dailydrool] Browser and glaucoma

Sally K. Russell sally at slokr.com
Tue Aug 5 06:13:12 PDT 2008

Thank you all for your back channel drool to us.  Browser saw the opthamology vet yesterday and his left eye has little sight but his right is spared for now.  This came on suddenly and without any warning.  She said age five is often the time bassets and beagles get this and it is progressive leading to total blindness at some point.  We are heartsick and so is our breeder who went the extra mile to have all her dogs who were bred thoroughly checked out by a vet opth.  However, she was told that this is not 100% guarantee as it only takes one recessive gene somewhere in the gene pool to have this pop out in a basset.  In 26 years she has never had a glaucoma case which is an outstanding track record.  I know her personally and know this to be true.

Please have all your bassets eye pressures checked and look for increasingly reddened eyes.  Although we never saw this until the day his third eyelid was down over his left eye.  It only takes a short spike of eye pressure in a basset or beagle to destroy the optic nerve in these two breeds.

Browser will have to learn how to get along with the right eye and he is very tentative right now.  We have 3 eyedrops and one oral medicine to give him twice daily and will have to think positive thoughts although is very difficult right now.

Thank you all again for your drool--

Sally, Bert, Pixel and Browser