[Dailydrool] whining in the car

chloehoundny at aol.com chloehoundny at aol.com
Tue Aug 5 09:35:29 PDT 2008

I've had several bassets over the years and I've only had one that whines/howls in the car, my youngest now, Daisy.? She's done this since her first car ride.? She's in no distress mind you, perfectly happy.? She will sit in the back of the BUV or back seat of the car look out the windows and just proceed to howl. When you tell her to knock it off she proceeds to whine about it.? It's actually quite funny because she really throws her head back and lets loose with the ears hanging back and her droopy lips in the cute little "O" shape they make.? It always cracks my daughter and myself up so I'm sure she probably thinks she's doing something good and proceeds to continue to do it.? Her sister Chloe just sits there and looks at her like she's the strangest dog in the world and she'd really like to know what her problem is.? The funniest thing is though she only does it for family.? We went to an event with our fellow basset friends a few weeks ago and since it was a distance we car pooled.? I warned them that Daisy would howl the whole ride but they said they didn't care.? Well we left from our house and about twenty minutes or so into the ride as I'm chatting the with other bassets slave she noted that she hadn't heard a howl since we started.? I hadn't even realized it until she said it to me.? Very strange, maybe she was showing off that she was able to be a good dog?? I don't know, it's not like they were playing or anything.? The four of them (2+2) were just sitting on the back seat of the car hanging out.? I thought it might be the beginning of a turn around for Daisy but the next time we went in the car a few days later she was back in original form.? And it doesn't matter if it's a short ride or a long one.? We traveled about 3 hours to the Boardwaddle and she did it all the way there.? Oh well...aroooosss to all.

Dianne, Daisy & Chloe