[Dailydrool] Drool and advice needed

DEBBIE.WYNN at comcast.net DEBBIE.WYNN at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 17:12:42 PDT 2008

Tuesday when I came home from work my 3 1/2 month old golden retriever Zoe had vomited several times in the house.  As the evening went on the vomiting continued and intensified, so this morning I took her to the vet.  The vet called later and said she had developed diarrhea as well, and was diagnosed with a "nasty" intestinal virus and would need to stay in the vetspital for at least one more day to receive IV fluids and other medications.

This afternoon I came home and found two other piles of vomit.  I have three other dogs (two pugs and a basset), and I couldn't tell which one was sick.  I drove all 3 to the vet, who recommended leaving all the dogs at the vetspital to be observed and treated as clearly the virus is contagious.  The vet said obviously at least one of them has it, and the other two will doubtless get it shortly.

When I got home I washed everything I could find (bed linens, etc.) that they might have been on and shampooed the areas of the carpet that had been vomited on.  I mopped the kitchen floor, put their dog dishes in the dishwasher to be sanitized, and then I saw ALL THOSE TOYS - four dogs can accumulate a lot of toys.  Should I wash all their stuffed animals in the washing machine?  What about the nylabones and rubber or latex toys - should I run them through the dishwasher?  Should I just toss them all and start a new collection?

Any advice is very welcome.  I need to keep busy so that I'm not thinking about the eventual amount of my vet bill....

Thanks,
Debbie