[Dailydrool] chloe

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 13:50:26 PDT 2008

I'm torn on the subject of Chloe. I agree with the posters saying that if
you don't think you can commit to her like you would a new-born baby then it
may be best to return her, especially while still so young, unattached and
adoptable. However, I have been in your situation when we adopted Rupert. He
was a stray and had no house training. The first week was awful. We were
literally tied down with him to stay on top of his peeing and to assure he
didnt chew anything important or dangerous. It crossed our mind if he was
really right for our home. To add to the chewing/potty-training our other
basset wouldn't stop humping him. Somehow it worked out though. We got him
on a schedule which helped a lot. It's been 10 weeks and he is now just as
much a part of our home as any of us are. He hasn't had an accident in at
least 6 weeks (and we finally got the carpet cleaned last week and it still
looks clean, yippee).

So I guess you need to evaluate the situation in whole with your family. Can
you commit now for the training? It won't happen overnight but with
persistance it will happen eventually. Do you think you'd be able to come
straight home after work even if something more fun comes up? she will
always be a commitment. Even once she's "trained" she'll be  a perpetual 2
year old - needing to be let out, fed, washed, tired-out and kept from
getting into things. So while I dont want to tell you to return her right
now as it has only been 4 days, you should really consider both yours and
her happiness and decide sooner rather than later whether or not you are
right for eachother. And if not, don't feel bad, you tried, she tried. All
you can do is give her a life of happiness - whether its in your home or
not. And she definitely will be easier to rehome now than later.

Good luck, keep us updated. Everyone is here to give advice and comfort and
help find the best solution for the basset.

Kacy with Cowboy and Rupert