[Dailydrool] Chloe

Elizabeth Kielley ekielley at messiah.edu
Thu Aug 7 13:44:37 PDT 2008

I just want to say that puppies aren't for everyone - lots of cuteness but
lots of energy and work.  My co-worker got a puppy after her 13-year-old
collie died.  She forgot how different an old, already trained, dog is from
a puppy.  She went crazy and cried and thought she'd have to return the
puppy.  Instead, she took her new puppy to basic obedience classes and then
agility and started seeing her in a new light and as a fun companion.  But I
tell you this so that you understand even dog people can forget how much
time a puppy can be. Maybe an older dog is for you.  Maybe instead of
adopting right now, think of fostering for a local basset rescue or your
local shelter. Ask for an older dog.  Don't feel bad for being stressed
about Chloe but realize she will take time, just like a baby.
Liz Kielley
mom to Ma Barker, Dulcie, Maggie (all seniors!) and foster, Filbert
("Chuck")
forever loved by Buford, Benzie, and Daisy Mae