[Dailydrool] Chloe

jules56pt at charter.net jules56pt at charter.net
Thu Aug 7 15:56:00 PDT 2008

Kristi, Your Chloe sounds like and energetic little handful.  If she is a normal basset she has a mind of her own, is willful, curious, fearless, cute cuddly and rambunctious.  She sounds like a normal little basset girl.  I would hate to see you give up on what could be avery rewarding relationship.  Your little bundle of fur may be picking up on your stress level.  She can't understand why you are stressed but she may be reacting to it.

Puppies will be puppies and do things like knaw, pee in the house, whine when they want something, get in things you don't want them to. Puppies are extraordinarily loving creatures too.  Could chloe be lonely?  You may think I'm nuts but our first basset was a puppy named Sassy.  We were so clueless when we brought her home.  She was the runt and bossy with her siblings.  We cooked for her and she wouldn't eat.  she couldn't sleep so I put her box by the bed and kept my hand in it until it had no feeling.  Finally she ended up in bed with me.  She ate my shoes and sofa legs.  Never met  a pencil she didn't like.  I spent a lot of time with her every day but she was miserable.  Our solution isn't for everyone but it was fantastic for us.

After a month of torture on both sides we went back to the breeder and got her sister.  She was twice the size of Sass.  Daisy never met any food she didn't like..
But, she saved Sassy's life, I believe.  Sassy missed her family and we just weren't enough.  Daisy encouraged her to eat and play and sleep in a dog bed.  Sassy was still the bossy one but Daisy would give her what for when she had had enough.

Sassy and Daisy took care of each other and then opened their hearts to three two legger boys who could be rather rough.  I've said all of this to encourage you to keep trying with Chloe.  All of our Bassets have had a playmate and maybe that would work for you, maybe not.

We have had bassets for more than 25 years and wouldn't have it any other way.  Another thing to think about is that Bassets are not neat little dogs.  They shed, drool, play rough, counter cruise, get underfoot, and can be rather smelly at times.  On the other hand they are loving, loyal, cuddly, smooshy, soft, funny, sweet bundles of specialness that make each day exciting .

Ninja is asleep on the couch next to me now with her butt pressed against me.  She keeps and "eye" on me that way.  Give your Chloe a hug and a kiss.  try to relax and llove her puppiness.  If you can do that, she will return it a thousand fold.  And you'll both have the adventure of a lifetime.

Julie and the sleeping trio, sunny, Ninja, and Marley