[Dailydrool] The World According to Norm - The Big Sleep Over

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Fri Aug 8 12:23:57 PDT 2008

It’s me again – Norm!

Last night we had an invasion here – first Carroll and Shelby came in and
they had their “sleep over” stuff with them.  Mom told them to go put it in
the trailer!  Hmmmm
 I thought, maybe we are going to another dog show.
But then I checked for other dog show signs – the tack box was still in its
spot, all of the laundry baskets were present and accounted for, the van was
in the garage, the leads and collars were all hanging up
 this wasn’t
making any sense.  Then the second wave of the invasion came – Total, Chaos
& Mayhem arrived (I mean Caleb, Samantha and Caden) – mom’s three little
people grandchildren.  They are 6, 4 ½ and 3 – now you understand the Total,
Chaos and Mayhem names, huh?!!  AND they were totin’ their “Going to
Grandma’s House” suitcase
 and their Mommy was smiling – A LOT!!!  The
twins snatched up their stuff and took it to the trailer – Hmmmm – had to go
check out the dog show signs again.  Nope – a dog show wasn’t happenin’ –
good thing too!  Can you imagine, Mom, Dad, Granny Pat, two 14 year old
girls and T-C-M in a 26 foot trailer – TOGETHER!  Now, Nigel & Llewis, THAT
is scary!!!

Anyway, I finally figured it out – the kids were having a Big Sleep Over –
in the trailer.  So, once they “set up housekeeping” (that’s what Mom said)
– Mom fixed dinner for them and took it out to the trailer.  They watched a
movie for a while but then the trouble started.  They decided since they
were staying in the trailer, they wanted to “play dog show”!  Well, guess
who was included in their plans --- ME!  They got out my show lead – put it
on upside down and backwards – ‘bout choked me to death.  It wasn’t too bad
when Carroll and Shelby started walking me – and Caleb was okay too – but
Samantha, the Drama Queen, started crying when the lead hurt her pinkies –
and Caden, well
 I took him for a drag!  You will never guess who rescued
us all from this mess – a thunderstorm!  I was never so glad to see
lightning and hear thunder in my life!  Mom took me in the house – you think
she would have protected me from this torture earlier – and the kids all
went into the house on wheels to watch the rest of their movie.

I didn’t see much of them after that but this morning, I knew they were
still here ‘coz I could smell something yummy cooking in the kitchen.  Mom
usually doesn’t cook breakfast – it’s kind of like – you want breakfast –
there’s the cereal – milk’s in the frig – Mom is NOT a morning person!  But
today was different
 she made something called Frenchie Toast.  I think she
made 25432 nickzillion pieces ‘coz I heard Dad say something about leaving
him two pieces of bread for a sam’ich at lunch.  After the kids and dad ate,
there were 3 pieces of the Frenchie Toast left --- Mom taught the little
kids how to give up treats (without losing their fingers) so they fed us the
leftovers --- mmmmmm, good!

The kids all went home at lunchtime.  Mom and Dad and resting up – they are
taking the three little ones to a baseball game tonight!  What are they –
stupid or gluttons for punishment?!?!?!  I am tired from all this activity –
and I am only 1 year old – Mom and Dad are 2430918 nickzillion years old!
The must be chuggin’ Geritol!

Drools to ya!

Norm (and the rest of the Red Bay Gang)

Grady, Hoagie & Johnny

Sandi Wittenberg - Mom to the Red Bay Basset Boys