[Dailydrool] Corrupting the buppy? and learning to Ahroo!

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:27:34 PDT 2008

When we adopted Checkers back in December, his foster momma said that he was
really good, decently behaved, and didn't garbage or counter cruise...

Well, those days are finally over!! His basset side has started to show
itself full force! He's becoming a master counter cruiser! He used to let
Joey jump up and get things down, then they'd "share the spoils" of what
he's retrieved, and I'm not sure what prompted him to do so, but he now hops
up onto his back legs and can just barely put his snooter up on the counter
(he's a small bagel!) and he's starting to try and knock things over and
attampt to pull things off the counter... The only good thing is he's small,
so he can't get all the way to the back of the counter. It's a good thing we
invested in a "dog proof" trashcan, as Crispin is a master garbage hound,
and he'd probably be corrupting Checkers and teaching the fine art of
garbage picking! (I had to pry a napkin out of Crispin's mouth at lunch
today!)

Another new developement is "flat basset." That's right, up until recently
he's not actually flat basseted; he's so wiggly & squirmy, and small that
you just kinda tugged at the leash and his wiggling & squiggling went the
direction you wanted, but mom and dad have both reported flat basset
episodes escalating over the past few weeks.  Hehehe, think he thinks there
no more need to be on "best behavior?" He must know he's home, and with the
counter cruising and flat basset, Joey's definately showing the youngster
the ropes. Now if we can only figure out why he's been trying to chew on the
toilet seat...

And, I was a proud momma this morning! My Joey finally "Ahrroooo'd!" He's
been here over a year, and he's never really rood. Usually it just comes out
as a whimpering, baby talk sort of noise, but this morning they were having
a bark at something (possibly a deer or raccoon, but more likely random air
molecules and/or lights) and Checkers started his rooing (very
characteristic, he has a really high pitched roo, even though his bark is
pretty deep!) and Crispin was just barking away, and then there was 2-3
drawn out "Ahroo"s and they had to be from Joey!! I was in a different room,
and by the time I got out and found them, he'd stopped, but I was so happy
he'd leaned to ahroo, even though it did sound like someone was stepping on
a small duck!

-Karrie, momma to Joey, Aunty to Checkers & Crispin (wb)

Waddling for Rescue: http://www.firstgiving.com/kueckerhounds

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473