[Dailydrool] Louie needs drool

Susan Nickle snickle717 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 15:38:36 PDT 2008

I'm coming out of my normal lurking mode to ask for some drool for our Louie.  He's 11 now and I've been very happy about how well he's doing for an older guy.  Aside from lifelong inflammatory bowel disease (which we control nicely with meds) and needing thyroid meds the last couple of years, Louie has been quite healthy.  His appetite is fine, his weight is perfect and he can still chase bunnies in the park as well as he ever did.

Then today I was giving him his bath and noticed a large swelling around the heel and ankle of his right hind leg.  This was new today; it was definitely not like this yesterday.  I took him in to see the vet and she drew some of the fluid out and found what she referred to as some VERY abnormal cells, including mast cells.  So we're looking at a mast cell tumor that will be removed on Tues. by our regular vet.  I've been instructed to give him Benadryl this weekend as these mast cell tumors tend to be filled with histamines and the benadryl will help to prevent any adverse side effects from that.  He's eating okay and doesn't seem to be in pain, but just isn't up to par, he's very quiet.  I'm just trying to hold myself together right now.  Louie is so tuned in to my emotions that when I get upset he gets upset, too.  So I'm trying to act normal; if I succeed I will deserve an Aceademy Award.

Today (8/08) has some sad memories for us as it is.  It was 13 years ago today that we had to have our last basset, Homer,  put down.  He was 11 and had cancer.  I guess Aug. 8th is not a good day for us.  We adpoted our Louie 2 years and 2 days later on Aug. 10, 1997.  This Sunday will be his Gotcha Day.

I will post when I know more.

Sue and Louie