[Dailydrool] Dogs & Alcohol

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 14:02:47 PDT 2008

Nadine,
I saw your post about Jill taking a sample of your celebratory Berrytini and
I just had to laugh. Humphrey is a total boozehound; it's one of the first
things we learned about him. The boyfriendslave got him for my 25th birthday
in January. Humphrey was 10 weeks old. We took him to a dog-friendly bar to
celebrate with some friends. Humphrey was on my lap. I put my beer down and
turned to talk to someone. Next thing I knew, Humphrey was on the table with
his face in my beer. Ever since, he's had a taste for the stuff. We can
leave food on the coffee table in the living room with a stern "Leave it"
and Humphrey will obey, but any beer left unattended at a height below 5 1/2
feet is fair game to him.

I'd say that 1/2 an ounce of vodka in a dog Jill's size shouldn't be a big
problem - probably just make her a little tipsy and drowsy. If anything, I'd
worry more about the berry mix - that stuff is pure sugar, and if it doesn't
counteract the soporific effects of the vodka, it might just give her one
hell of a hangover in the morning.

My advice: make sure she drinks plenty of water to keep her hydrated, and
give her a fried egg in the morning. I always find a good greasy breakfast
helps me get over a night of too-much-partying.

(Oh, also, check to make sure your berry mix didn't contain grape juice, as
we all know that can be toxic to dogs. If so, yeah, inducing vomiting might
not be a bad idea.)

-Rebecca & Humphrey, the 9-month-old beer lover