[Dailydrool] x-pens

Katie Strobel katie.strobel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 20:20:22 PDT 2008

Hello everyoine,
Whoever is looking for x-pens - I found mine at petco. It's tall and
gold and it was about 90 dollars. It was the best thing we've ever
purchased besides pet insurance. I don't think they call them x-pens
on the box, but they should be there. They are in a sort of display
near the crates and beds but they're folded down and you can choose
different sizes. I've also seen some online, but I bet the shipping is
outrageous. Speaking of x-pens, we've converted Watson's x-pen into
his bed. He loves to sleep on his back and stretch all the way out,
and his crate just wasn't cutting it. Plus, with him on 2 weeks of
bed-rest, we thought this would be a more humane way to spend it than
in that crate. The x-pen has more room for him to move around in. The
only downside is that it takes up the entire sunroom of the house. We
had an old cushion for a papisan (I have no idea how to spell it)
chair...you know the ones that are bowl-shaped and made of bamboo ...
and that cushion has been covered with blankets to make the bed. The
cushion fills up the entire x-pen so there's no room for Watson's
antics. He gets a brand new knuckle bone each day to work on while
we're gone, and our only problem is that when we get home he "stands
up" on the side and howls until we go let him out and say
hello....like I'm going to forget he's there or something. I basically
have to sprint through the house to get to him so that he doesn't
stand for too long on that knee....ah well. At least he can't escape -
well, at least he hasn't figured out how to yet.

When Watson was a baby, we had a different x-pen that was white. I
think he learned how to scale that one within a week...the one we have
now has vertical bars so there's no way to "climb" out. It's also
about waist high so jumping is also probably not going to work. I am
curious when he's going to try and nose his way under it though...so
far he just whines and acts like he's being tortured when he realizes
we're around.

He just got another dose of painkillers about an hour ago, so the
whining and carrying on should die down soon....they're narcotics and
they really do a number on him. Today, I was watching the olympics for
about 4 hours while Watson laid on his back with his belly in the air
right next to me. He didn't move from 9 to 1 when I got up and got
some lunch. Then, all he did was roll onto his side so he could look
at me dizzily and beg in between snoozes.
Thanks for the continuing drool, so far I think it's working :)
Katie and Watson (mommy! come back here!......ooooh! pretty birdies!.....)