[Dailydrool] Humphrey's kennel cough

sylviemcgee at comcast.net sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Sat Aug 9 21:10:19 PDT 2008

If he is continuing to feel punk, and there isn't a BIG change within 3-4 days of starting the antibiotic, check with your vet.

Kennel cough, in my experience with many dogs in rescue, usually doesn't slow them down much at all, except during the active coughing jag. If your boy is depressed/quiet/wanting to sleep all the time, that's a warning sign that he's still quite ill - and I would get him into your vet pronto.

It can often take more than one try at antibiotics to clear KC...

My Aretha had kennel cough that was resistant to the first four antibiotics she was given, but finally we kicked the bug's butt with number 5 - and kept her on it nearly six weeks to make absolutely sure that she was clear, because she had had kennel cough fulminating for months and it had turned into pneumonia....

Sylvie McGee
HeavenScent Bassets
SPDR Basset Pack
Olympia WA