[Dailydrool] Letting Bassets INTO yards

decadog at comcast.net decadog at comcast.net
Sun Aug 10 12:30:29 PDT 2008

I'm sure Brenda already has her solution to folks opening her gate and letting her dogs out--if her better half came home with the padlock as planned. Kids can just be curious to see the dogs and not really mean any harm--but it's dangerous for all involved. At least this kid came to the door and let her know what happened, I give him brownie points for that. But her post reminded me of a funny incident that happened to one of our foster homes a few years ago. Heather and Sherman had 2 personal bassets and were fostering 2 more for us. They always kept the dogs indoors while at work, so were surprised to find a 5th never-before-seen-basset in the fenced backyard when they got home. At first she assumed that I'd dropped off a new rescue--but realized I'd never just dump a dog unsolicited into anyone's yard and leave the hound to it's own devices. The basset wore a rabies tag and long story short...after a few phone calls she found the owners a few blocks away who said their dog had
been missing since morning. Heather couldn't explain to them how their dog ended up in her yard. The next day Heather is approached by a neighbor she only knew by greeting when she was out walking her dogs. He asks if she was happy to have her basset back. Seems he'd found a basset on their street, assumed it was hers (well, they all look alike, right?), opened the gate, and put the basset in her yard! I guess it's a good idea to have a lock on your gate so no one can ADD to your herd. :-)
Darlene, Las Vegas Basset Rescue www.lasvegasbassetrescue.com