[Dailydrool] duct tape & wrapping

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 13:03:23 PDT 2008

In an emergency Duct tape as a wrap holder is ok but not long-term. Wraps
HAVE to be changed almost every day if your dog is going outside. Never
leave a wet wrap on a foot or leg. When you put tape around a leg or foot to
hold the wrap on, check after a little bit to be sure the foot is warm and
not swollen.If it is either you have the wrap and/or tape too tight. (I am
preaching to the choir.)
I only remind because we have had people leave wet wraps on dogs for weeks.
I mean you would really think they would be able to SMELL the infection.
Needless to say, peeling these wraps off is a job no one wants because what
you find beneath is that the flesh has been just macerated, pulverized,
eaten away. Very nasty stuff.

Soaking a sore paw or an injured paw or a paw with an  interdigital cyst
even, in a solution of warm water and a bit of Betadine a couple of times a
day and then drying thoroughly before bandaging is often beneficial.
Betadine is great stuff. Next to bleach, I probably love Betadine the most.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell and Cooper