[Dailydrool] Bassets and laundry

Anne Savidge AnneSavidge at dcccd.edu
Wed Aug 13 08:18:25 PDT 2008

Our first basset, Sniffles, never noticed the laundry basket, but the second one, Clover, LOVED laundry. She really preferred my then-teenaged brother's stinky athletic socks that he would peel off and leave on the floor (until he learned better), but she also loved clean laundry.

One of Clover's favorite activities was stealing things out of a laundry basket, so my mother would put something large and flat across the top of the basket to keep Clover out of it while Mom sat on the couch and folded it. This didn't always stop Clover, though. Especially if Mom set the laundry basket down and covered it and walked away to do something else first, Clover would walk around the basket and grab at whatever was in there through the cut-outs in the plastic. When Mom would return to the basket, it had "sprouted" pieces of fabric all around it because Clover would pull as much as she could through the cut-out part and then go to another cut-out and try to get another sock or T-shirt. The laundry basket always looked like some kind of mutant flowering plant.

Auntie Anne