[Dailydrool] giving pills

Muriel Fiona Napier allears at rogers.com
Wed Aug 13 11:33:21 PDT 2008

Bertie was recently on antibiotics for a really nasty, persistent ear
infection. Over the course of about six weeks or so we tried different meds,
finally finding one that (touch wood) seems to have cleared it. Main problem
with all of this
 he will not swallow pills. Never. Not a chance. I’ve
hidden them in all the things mentioned here; I’ve held open his mouth and
put them down his throat in the proper fashion
 he seems to swallow, then
wanders quietly off to a corner where he coughs/clears his throat, and
deposits the offending pill on the ground.

The vet suggested coating the pill in butter, but I don’t use butter and
never have any in the house. So in desperation, I bought some little
“two-bite” butter tarts, put the pill in the middle, and offered it to him.
Gone almost before I blinked!

I now have a Basset addicted to butter tarts.

Muriel

Muriel Fiona Napier
Guelph Home Guardians:
  Pet and House Sitting